You will find more infor­ma­tion in the sub-parts of the fam­i­ly home dur­ing the sep­a­ra­tion — rental. If you rent as part of a month­ly rent, you can usu­al­ly leave at the end of each month, as long as you can­cel your land­lord 30 days in advance. If your rental agree­ment offers anoth­er noti­fi­ca­tion peri­od, you should always be under con­tract with the lease. If you both want to, you‘re both free to go. If one of you wants to stay, talk to the land­lord and ask for a new lease. If your cur­rent lease expires at the end of the month, you and your land­lord can start over with your only name on the new lease. Keep in mind that you may need to speak with your land­lord if only one of you lives. Land­lords are often reluc­tant to with­draw some­one from a lease with­out speak­ing direct­ly to them before­hand. This pro­tects the own­er from any legal prob­lems if he lat­er dis­cov­ers that the per­son he removed actu­al­ly want­ed to stay in the lease. If your part­ner wants you to leave and the lease is in his name, you can ensure that you have the right to stay there.

The end of a rent involves the analy­sis of your con­tract, local laws and details of your cir­cum­stances. The best way to answer any ques­tions you have regard­ing the ter­mi­na­tion of a lease or lease is to con­tact a local land­lord-ten­ant lawyer who can help you clar­i­fy your rights and guide you through the process. If you and your ex-part­ner dis­agree on what needs to hap­pen — per­haps, if you are both in the lease or have chil­dren, you may want to con­sid­er using a medi­a­tor who is an impar­tial third par­ty. Although the court may decide who may reside in the apart­ment, it will not can­cel or change your rental agree­ment with your land­lord. If your land­lord refus­es to remove your ex from the lease, estab­lish an unfound­ed con­tract with your ex-spouse. This doc­u­ment states that you stay in the apart­ment and take full respon­si­bil­i­ty for pay­ing rent and util­i­ties. If you do not do so and the own­er holds your ex respon­si­ble for the lease, your ex can sue you to recov­er his injury. Keep in mind that the agree­ment is between you and your spouse, not the spouse and the owner.

If you don‘t pay your rent, your land­lord may choose to fol­low you alone or fol­low you both, and then let them take you away lat­er. In gen­er­al, most states allow a land­lord to ter­mi­nate a ten­an­cy agree­ment if the ten­ant: I don‘t have a sin­gle ten­ant who want­ed to break the ten­an­cy agree­ment to com­plain about the terms, as most LLs here accuse them until they re-rent it and don‘t work as the process. I offer two ways to break the lease: a one-and-done, plus down pay­ment, and a main­tain while-I-Mar­ket option. In the first sce­nario, I charge them a month plus bail, pro­vid­ed there is no real dam­age to the place, and they go and I take care of every­thing imme­di­ate­ly after walk­ing — lawn ser­vice, all util­i­ties, etc. They basi­cal­ly go clean for a month‘s rent because they have already paid the down pay­ment. If they don‘t want to do it that way, they can leave and I will mar­ket the house aggres­sive­ly, but they are respon­si­ble for all rents, sup­ply ser­vices, lawn care, etc. if it takes 3 weeks, 3 months or the rest of the lease.